Vinyl plank floor is a modern type of flooring. It is attractive and long-lasting. Even at instances of home jamming, the floor cannot be easily destroyed, not unless under deliberate fault. It is essential to know that when your vinyl floor gets dirty, you don’t have to worry about any damage that can be caused in the case of steam mop cleaning.
This is because there are ways of cleaning the vinyl floor safely. Despite durability, vinyl floor needs good care maintenance and which cleaning is part of it. We are going to find out if using a steam mop can cause damages on vinyl plank flooring.
Can You Use A Steam Mop On Vinyl Plank Floor?
How can we clean a vinyl plank floor using a steam mop once? This is a question we have in our mind, but we have the solution to the question. Experts recommend that the use of a steam mop should not clean a vinyl plank floor. You can use a microfiber mop or swifter. This is because there is a high possibility of steam to penetrate through the material, thus causing damage. The extreme heat from the steam mop can forcibly bend the planks and wrap along edges.
It is, therefore, a bad idea for you to use a steam mop to clean the vinyl plank floor because no one would stand to see their product get damaged, yet the damage is preventable. Prevent damaging your vinyl plank floor by using the alternative cleaning equipment rather than a steam mop.
Do Steam Mop Damage Vinyl Plank Floor?
Although the steam cleaning techniques come along with several benefits, it can bring unexpected damages to your luxury vinyl plank floor. Therefore it is essential to bear in mind how the fabric is made, and the harm steam has on it. The vinyl planks are created of plastic fabric, and a polyurethane surface might cover them.
The fabric is waterproof and is heat tolerant to a specific range. There are types of vinyl floors. These include the ones with planks fixed to the core using glue while the next is the one that connects hanging. Both leave behind observable lines and joints where they are fused.
Vinyl plank floors are a type of fabric that is not friendly to high pressure, mostly when you place on them weighty loads. Apart from pressure, vinyl plank floors are not tolerant to high temperatures that most known steam cleaning techniques produce.
From the statistics, steam cleaners should not be used to clean the vinyl plank floors since these cleaners expose the floor to extreme heat, which damages the vinyl plank floor. Therefore, a steam mop cannot be used to clean the vinyl plank floor.
Best Way to Clean Vinyl Plank Floor
After knowing what is wrong with the cleaning of the vinyl plank floors, let us take a look at how best we can achieve a clean vinyl plank floor free of damage. These are some tips on how to go about it.
- It is essential to ensure that dust and dirt are eliminated all over the floor before you involve wet cleaning. This is inclusive of under the seats and around the corners.
- Apple cider vinegar is a perfect cleaner for vinyl floor. The acidic nature of the vinegar comes into play in that; it perfectly eliminates dirt and ensuring that no soap or wax buildup is left behind.
- For any tough scuff, a WD-40 lubricant, as well as jojoba oil, rubbed on a towel can be a perfect idea. You need to scrub the region until the stains disappear. To remove any trace of lubricants, thoroughly clean using a solution of water and vinegar.
- For food blemishes, you will need a paste made of baking soda and water. Lightly rub the stain until it disappears. Thoroughly clean after that to eliminate traces of baking soda.
- To remove a couple of stain types, you need to use a soft bristle brush made of nylon. This can be used alongside a couple of common solvents we use in our household. For marker or paint stains, mineral spirits are recommended for use.
In the market currently, there are cleaners meant explicitly for vinyl plank floors. They can be a good choice to clean your vinyl plank floor. They include the likes of pledge tile & vinyl floor cleaner.
Vinyl plank floor should not be a worry anymore. A steam mop is not the right cleaner for the vinyl plank floor. The tips shared in the article will help you ensure that your vinyl plank floor is kept clean without any risk of damage. You have what it takes to clean your vinyl floor.