Have you installed luxury vinyl tiles in your new home but are not satisfied because of the dirtiness caused by grout haze? It is not a pleasurable sight to see your beautiful vinyl tiles covered with grout haze after the process of grouting.
As we know, grout haze is stubborn and would not come off a luxury vinyl tile quickly by using standard cleaning procedures. You will need to have DIY ideas and basic cleaning knowledge about vinyl flooring. Note to be gentle and careful throughout the process as it is a luxury item.
It is now time to play with vinegar, soda, soap and water. Continue reading to know how to clean grout haze off luxury vinyl tile easily and with affordable cleaning methods.
What Causes Grout Haze?
- 1 What Causes Grout Haze?
- 2 Get rid of grout haze from luxury vinyl flooring:-
- 3 How To Clean Grout Haze Off Luxury Vinyl Tile Without Using Chemical Products:-
- 4 How Do Professionals Clean Grout Haze?
- 5 How to maintain clean vinyl flooring?
- 6 Conclusion
Grout haze looks like white powder on the surface of tiles. Since grouting involves pulling grout across the tile with a rubber float, much of it covers the tiles. It occurs when remnants from grouting dry up on the tiles. It is often difficult to clean them off.
Get rid of grout haze from luxury vinyl flooring:-
We are starting with the easiest and budget-friendly cleaning method. Make sure the tile is dry before you start.
- Mix one cup of white vinegar into warm water in a bucket or a spray bottle.
- Use a mop to sweep away the grout haze off the vinyl tile gently.
- Let the vinegar-water solution sit on the grout haze for 10 minutes.
- You can use a toothbrush or any cleaning brush to clean every part of the tile effectively.
However, using vinegar repeatedly on the flooring may damage and darken the color.
Another solution is to mix ¼ cup of ammonia, ¼ cup of vinegar, ½ cup of baking soda with 1 liter of water.
Mix this solution and put it in a spray bottle or a bucket (depending on the vinyl tile area you need to cover for cleaning).
Use a sponge or scrub pad to clean off the grout haze after letting the solution sit for about five minutes.
Other cleaning products
There are several products designed for cleaning off grout haze. It is necessary to check if they suit your luxury vinyl tile before usage.
- Clean the area of grout haze before using the products.
- Gently brush off the grout haze using a cleaning brush.
- Note that the grout haze would not come off after one wipe. You would have to scrub on it a couple of times till it gets off.
- Use water to remove the cleaning product afterward.
- Use a neutral pH cleaning product explicitly made or suitable for vinyl tiles.
Rubbing alcohol can remove stains and dirt from vinyl floor tiles. However, letting the alcohol sit on the surface for too long may cause a new stain on your luxury vinyl tile.
How To Clean Grout Haze Off Luxury Vinyl Tile Without Using Chemical Products:-
Use a dry sponge
A dry sponge is rough; hence, it effectively cleans grout haze. It would not leave scratches on your vinyl tile.
- Cover each section of the grout haze while scrubbing.
- It is essential to be gentle throughout the whole process. Do not be too rough on the tiles.
- Liquids might make the grout haze stick to flooring even more. So, keep scrubbing with the dry sponge.
- The aftermath might be dirty, so you will need to vacuum the LVT floor.
- Use water to clean the area.
Use water and cheesecloth.
Another simple cleaning process is to use water and cheesecloth.
- Make sure you wear gloves
- Dip the cheesecloth in water
- Wipe the cheesecloth on the surface of the vinyl tile
Soap and water
Mix some dishwashing soap or furniture cleaning soap with water, pour it on the grout haze, and use a sponge to clean it off.
This method is much cheaper and safer but might not be so effective if the grout haze has been dried off for a long time. A bar of dishwashing soap and a bucket of warm water might get the job done efficiently.
How Do Professionals Clean Grout Haze?
Professionals use special cleaning procedures, equipment, and chemicals. If you wish to save money and do it yourself, we suggest you follow the above instructions.
Professionals use products that quickly get rid of grout haze, but the drawback is that these products may contain toxic chemicals that can harm your health.
Some grout haze cleaning products may contain strong acids and chemicals best handled by professionals.
Professional cleaning methods are suggested to be done every 1-2 years to secure the long life of your vinyl tile.
How to maintain clean vinyl flooring?
Keeping your luxury vinyl tiles clean after taking the grout haze off is essential.
- Use a damp mop and sweep the tiles often.
- To avoid scratches, use furniture pads.
- Apple cider vinegar is beneficial in cleaning vinyl tiles. The acidity in vinegar is effective in cleaning in between the tiles.
- Use mats to prevent dirt.
- Clean dirt or stain as soon as it occurs. The longer you let it stay, the more difficult it is to clean the dirt off.
- Do not use heat or hot water while cleaning your floor. Heat can distort the vinyl.
- Do not use a wax polish
- Do not use rolling casters
- Avoid using vacuums with a beater bar
- Do not use a vacuum with a power rotary brush head
- Avoid using detergents that contain bleach or abrasive cleaning products
Tips for preventing grout haze on luxury vinyl tile:-
- The best time to start cleaning grout haze is 1-10 days after tile installation. If you wait for a more extended period, it will become much more difficult and time-consuming to get the grout haze off.
If you clean it within hours of installation, you can easily use a damp sponge, and it will come off. Although, it is best to let the grout sit for at least 24 hours before cleaning the grout haze.
- Some manufacturers suggest using “grout release.” Using grout release after the process of grouting will prevent grout haze and other types of stains on your vinyl tile. It might take up to 1-3 hours for grout release to dry.
- Grout sealing is vital for your vinyl tile. Sealed grout is easier to keep clean. It is best suggested to seal your grout at least once a year. If you don’t seal your grout, it will absorb water and stains.
Steps to keep grout clean
- Mop the floor regularly
- Place mats or rugs to keep away from dust
- Sweep often
Luxury vinyl tiles are durable and water-resistant. It is essential to keep them clean because they would lose their authenticity if not taken care of.
Regular cleaning is recommended to keep your tiles shiny and look brand new. Cleaning with a damp washcloth once or twice a week would help.
Grout haze is not an issue if you have proper cleaning methods. This article consists of some effective cleaning methods and helpful information on how to clean grout haze off luxury vinyl tile that we hope you found useful.