Vinyl upholstery is always popular for its high durability, reliability, water and heat resistance. This is known as the symbol of luxury and good taste. This is mainly used on furniture, boat seats and recreational vehicles.
Vinyl doesn’t require very rich maintenance. If you keep it clean and follow some tips, one vinyl fabric can last around 20 years.
However, if you’ve got any stain over this material, it won’t be easy to clean. Vinyl upholstery is not safe with all kinds of chemicals and cleaners. Stay careful while using any type of harsh product over this material.
So, you better gather all information on how to remove stains from vinyl upholstery safely. Stay conscious while applying any harsh type of elements here.
How to remove stains from vinyl upholstery? : Step by Step
Even a tiny stain can kill the appearance of vinyl upholstery products. Vinyl takes up a lot of money, and obviously you were expecting it to last longer.
Firstly you should always be concerned about vinyl upholstery proper maintenance. Vinyl is easy to maintain. But it will take a lot of time and effort to clean any spot or stain over vinyl.
If accidentally you get any stains on vinyl upholstery, try to remove that as soon as possible. The more you wait, the stubborn stains will get. The core rule is starting the cleaning process quickly.
Then you must gather some essential tools and materials. The process is straightforward. You just need to hold your patience.
Tools & materials:
- Soft cotton cloth
- Spray bottle
- Vacuum cleaner
- Vinyl cleaner
- Lint-free towel
- Soft-bristled brush
- First of all, start with cleaning the extra dust, debris and particles over the stained area. You can use a soft cotton cloth to wipe off this debris. This excess debris will turn into a liquid and muddy texture once you apply the solution over it.
- Only hand cleaning is always not enough. Grab a good quality vacuum cleaner to clean that extra dirt. Keep the vacuum power is mid-level.
- Now, you should get the best vinyl cleaner from the market. You can prepare an effective solution to apply over the stain. Here you can use some DIY solutions too. Choose whichever one suits the material.
- Now, take a soft-bristled brush to scrub over the stains. Be gentle and precise with all the colors correctly. Keep scrubbing over the stains softly until it gets clear.
- Take a clean, Lint-free towel to soak the extra materials thoroughly. Make sure you’re drying it.
How to make DIY vinyl upholstery stain remover?
If you’re not willing to use some expensive vinyl cleaner/ chemical products, try these DIY solutions. There are a few solutions you can prepare at home.
Give a quick check over these easy to make vinyl stain remover solutions:
Solution 1: Dishwasher Soap detergent:
Use water and mix it with some good quality mild dish detergent. You should take one tbsp. oil-free dishwasher detergent. Avoid using any harsh type of detergent with string chemicals. Mix it with one bowl of water. Shake the solution well and apply over stains.
Solution 2: Baking Soda:
To make this baking soda solution, you’ll need only some lukewarm water, dish soap and baking soda. This will turn into some paste texture. The water and baking soda ratio should be 1:3. You can add 5/10 dish soap into the paste. This will work better to scrub the stains easily.
Solution 3: Rubbing Alcohol:
Here you don’t have to make any solution. You should take a cotton pad and alcohol for the method. Take a tiny amount of alcohol and pour it over the cotton ball. Rub it off over the vinyl upholstery material. This will clear all the existing stains easily.
Solution 4: Apple cider vinegar:
This solution will require you to use some lukewarm water and apple cider vinegar. It will work effectively over such stubborn stains. You should mix one tbsp. apple cider vinegar into two cups of lukewarm water.
Solution 5 : Natural bleach:
You can use fruit juice to clean the stubborn stains over vinyl upholstery material. Lemon juice/ tomato juice/ wine works better as natural bleach. You have to keep the water and juice ratio about 2:1. Here you don’t have to rub the stain. Just pour the solution and let it soak with time. This works better with white vinyl upholstery.
- Always use some mild detergent and chemicals to clean the stains.
- Don’t forget to clean all the dust thoroughly.
- You better not use any abrasive materials to clean the dust.
- Make sure you’re drying this material properly after cleaning.
- If you notice any extra soapy water left over the material, consider it whipping off with clean water. Here you can use a soft, damp cloth.
- Don’t allow any extra water over the vinyl upholstery. You better soak and dry it thoroughly before storing it.
- Keep the solution ingredient ratio balanced.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Will vinegar hurt vinyl upholstery materials?
Answer: Apple cider vinegar is the most effective ingredient you can use for cleaning white vinyl upholstery. But make sure you should keep the elements balanced.
Question: Is vinyl upholstery easy to clean?
Answer: Yes, generally, bacteria and viruses can’t survive over vinyl upholstery for a long time. So, it won’t gather some excess amount of dust over vinyl upholstery. With regular vacuum cleaning, you can keep it always shiny and clean.
More relevant article at pickthevacuum
Vinyl upholstery fabric makes it last longer and shinier. Cleaning and maintaining such material is never an issue. But removing any type of stubborn stains from vinyl upholstery can stand challenging. There are some DIY solutions and vinyl cleaner to make the task easier. Make sure you’re following the safe and correct procedure on how to remove stains from vinyl upholstery. Stay conscious and keep the material safe from ruining.